01 Mar February Regulatory Updates
WHAT HAPPENED THIS MONTH?
- The European Chemicals Agency submits a proposal for an EU-wide restriction on all per-and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFASs) in firefighting foams. The proposal’s goal is to prevent further groundwater and soil contamination and health risks for people and the environment.
- ECHA has updated its recommendations to help companies improve their registration dossiers and has added more advice on using read-across and weight of evidence. Statistics are available on the progress made in evaluating registered substances in 2021.
- European Commission to end exemptions for use of mercury in certain lamps +e European Commission has published 12 delegated Acts that will end exemptions for uses of mercury in general purpose compact (CFL) and linear fluorescent (LFL) lamps, while renewing several others.
- Ad hoc consultation on the harmonized classification and labelling of S-metolachlor (ISO)
The proposal for the harmonized classification and labelling (CLH) of S-metolachlor (ISO); 2-chloro-N-(2-ethyl-6-methylphenyl)-N-[(2S)-1-methoxypropan-2-yl]acetamide; (RaSa)-2-chloro-N-(6-ethyl-o-tolyl)-N-[(1S)-2-methoxy-1-methylethyl]acetamide [contains 80-100% 2-chloro-N-(2-ethyl-6-methylphenyl)-N-[(2S)-1-methoxypropan-2-yl]acetamide and 0-20% 2-chloro-N-(2-ethyl-6-methylphenyl)-N-[(2R)-1-methoxypropan-2-yl]acetamide] (EC -, CAS 87392-12-9) was brought forward by Germany and subject to a consultation, which ended on 3 September 2021.
As, in the meanwhile, additional data on carcinogenicity has been released, we are looking for comments on this new information.
The deadline is 7 March 2022.
- New proposals to harmonize the classification and labelling
Three proposals have been introduced for:
- (RS)-S-sec-butyl-O-ethyl-2-oxo-1,3-thiazolidin-3-ylphosphonothioate; fosthiazate (ISO) (EC 619-377-3, CAS 98886-44-3);
- 2,3-epoxypropyl isopropyl ether (EC 223-672-9, CAS 4016-14-2); and
- 6-iodo-2-propoxy-3-propylquinazolin-4(3H)-one; proquinazid (ISO) (EC 606-168-7, CAS 189278-12-4).